September 17, 2018
Please read the following:
HELP!! Tech savvy parents are needed on Wednesday, September 19, from 9:15 a.m. until 10:30 ish.. Senior members of our school and parish community are invited to the school library for coffee and a computer, cell phone, Ipad crash technology course. Please email Mrs. Hunt right away, if you are available to teach at “Tech Savvy Seniors” this Wednesday. email@example.com Thank-you.
1. A reminder that homework club has been cancelled today due to an all faculty/staff faculty meeting.
2. Please sign up for Parent Teacher Conferences which will take place Wednesday, September 26, 12:45 to 7:00 and Thursday, September 27, 12:45 to 7:00 p.m. Go to www.cosgriff.org for a direct sign-up link.
3. Murray School lunch orders and payment are due by Friday, September 21, in the lunch mailbox by the school office.
4. Extended Day becomes very crowded on Conferences days. Be sure to make a reservation as soon as possible so that Mrs. Cleverly has time to secure adequate supervision for all firstname.lastname@example.org 801-484-8905.
5. The Student Leadership Council has decided to support The Children’s Center as a community service project for the remainder of September. The Council has asked each grade level which includes toddler thru eighth grade to donate specific items from The Children’s Center WISH LIST. Some grades may donate a few clean and slightly used clothing items, other needed items must be new and store bought.
Your child took home a flyer with specific requests for his/her grade level. Please go to the Cosgriff web page if you did not receive the WISH LIST request sheet. CLICK HERE FOR WISH LIST
All items should be placed in a collection box by the front office. The toddler, pre-school and pre-kindergarten drop off boxes are downstairs by each classroom.
5. Tuesday, September 18, students may wear “crazy socks” and a “crazy hat” with a donation of two or more Children’s Center WISH LIST items. We have only two weeks to offer our full school support for the Children’s Center. Thank you.
Mrs. Hunt, Principal
September 10, 2018
Please read the following important notes:
Fr. Andrzej has taken a personal leave of absence for one month. Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers during this time. Fr. Joshua Santos will serve in his place for this four week time period. Fr. Santos is from the Los Angeles Diocese, so please welcome him to our church and school community.
1. All parents of toddlers, pre-school and pre-k are invited to a short morning coffee break after 8:30 a.m. drop off on Wednesday, September 12. Coffee will be served on the south pre-school playground. Siblings welcome.
2. Thank you to Robb Farr and his fabulous “Bad in Plaid” golf committee and many generous sponsors for another very successful and fun golf tournament.
3. Progress Reports will be sent home on Thursday, September 13. Please take time to review with your child his/her commitment to working hard each day by turning in homework on time, preparing for class projects, quizzes and tests in addition to following procedures and rules with classroom behavior and courtesy.
4. The annual Pastoral Congress is Saturday, September 15 at Juan Diego High School. All faculty, staff and parent community are invited to this important conference presentation lead by Bishop Oscar Solis.
5. Make-up and retake individual picture day is Monday, September 17. Students should wear Formal Dress attire for their picture. If retake photos are needed, your child must turn in the original packet of pictures to get free retakes.
6. Watch for Parent Teacher Conference sign-up coming this week. The conferences are Wednesday, September 26 and Thursday, September 27, from 12:45 to 7:00 pm.
7. There is a First Communion Parent meeting tonight at 7:00 p.m. in the Vaughan Center. Parents only.
8. There will be no Homework Club on Monday, September 17, due to an all school faculty/staff meeting.
Mrs. Hunt, Principal
September 4, 2018
Please read the following important announcements:
1. There is an HSA meeting at 7:00 p.m. this evening in the school library. Room parents and all interested parents are encouraged to attend the meeting. If you have a concern or special topic for discussion, please contact Scott McAward, President. email@example.com
There will be a PROSPECTIVE PARENT DROP IN MEETING AND TOUR on Thursday, September 6, at 9:00 a.m. Please encourage families who would like to know more about Cosgriff School to attend the meeting and/or contact Maggie Kearns, Admission Director, firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Homework Club begins today for students in fourth thru eighth grade. Students may attend Homework Club Monday thru Thursday from 3:20 to 4:15 p.m. This is an extra period for students who would benefit from assistance or time to complete assignments, projects, questions, test preparation etc. At least two of our faculty members will supervise and assist students at Homework Club. Mrs. Millard will be available at Homework Club on Wednesdays to answer questions and offer support for Latin students.
Homework Club is not meant for casual reading, visiting and socializing. Your child will be asked to check into Extended Day if his/her intentions are not academically related. Upon dismissal of Homework Club at4:15 p.m., a teacher will wait outside until 4:20 p.m. for parent pick-up. After that time, students will be directed to check into Extended Day.
3. Congratulations to the 2018-19 Student Leadership Council. The following students were elected by their peers to lead and represent J.E. Cosgriff School for the year. Lanee Farr, Addison Conner, Marco Crosswhite, Sam Daskalakis, Jack Gose, and Gus Harmston. Lanee Farr will serve as President of the Student Leadership Council.
4. The Cosgriff School Board meets for the first time this year on Wednesday, September 5, at 6:30 p.m. in the school library. Welcome to the following new School Board members: Dan Burns, Dr. Chris Hill, Jenny Sherman, Jennifer Zalla, and Bernie Jo Marlowe. Mr. Bob Parenti will serve as Board Chair for the 2018-19 school year.
5. Bishop Solis encourages all faculty, parents, parishioners, and friends to attend the Pastoral Congress, September 15 at Juan Diego Catholic High School. In addition, the Catholic Youth Conference for teens ages 13 -17 will be held on September 15, at St. John the Baptist School, from 8:30 to 4:30. All young people are encouraged to take part in the Youth Conference.
6. Thank you in advance to all who purchased a foursome in the “Bad in Plaid” Golf Tournament, which will take place on Sunday, September 9 at Bonneville Golf Course. The foursomes are sold out!! Please contact Robb Farr if you would like to make an underwriting donation or donate a great raffle prize. email@example.com
7. The annual Grandparent Brunch will take place October 3, at 9:00 a.m. in the church social center. Grandparents should receive an invitation within the next two weeks RSVP to Danielle Jefferies.firstname.lastname@example.org
8. The new and improved playground has increased student energy and enthusiasm at every recess. A new sports court surface with basketball and four square lines will be added close to the middle of September. Please encourage all who use the playground to respect the fence, gates, equipment, grass, cement, and garden space. We are very fortunate to have acquired a state of the art playground, outdoor classroom with garden boxes and a peace/prayer garden complete with a beautiful fountain.
9. Each grade has adopted a garden box and will soon plant a variety of herbs, flowers, and other plants indigenous to Utah. The garden use aligns closely with the NGSS Science Standards and other subjects as well.
10. Parents of second grade students, mark your calendar for the First Communion parent meeting on Monday, September 10, at 7:00 p.m. in the Vaughan Center.
Mrs. Hunt, Principal
August 27, 2018
The administration, faculty and staff are working with your children on day to day procedures, social skills, classroom, school-wide rules, and presenting RESPECT, our Christian virtue for August and September. Thank you so much for your hard work and support, especially during these first weeks of school.
Seventh and Eighth grade Student Leadership Council campaign speeches will take place Thursday, August 30, at 8:30 a.m. in the school gym.
The first fire drill of the year with toddler thru eighth grade went smoothly today. We will continue to practice at least one drill per month including an intruder drill, school lockdown drill, chemical spill, earthquake, missing student, and additional fire drills throughout the year.
Please notice in front of the office there is a small statue of Saint Martin de Porres, our patron saint for the year. Saint Martin was teased and treated very poorly because of his socio economic status, mixed-race and the color of his skin. He stands out as a strong role model for our school community appreciate and respect each other’s unique differences, talents, and challenges. We are all God’s children and deserve the utmost respect and acceptance as we navigate through life.
Please Read the Following:
If students go to Homework Club and have only a book to read, he/she will be escorted to Extended Day to read in the Vaughan Center library. This will allow more space and attention for those students in serious need of completing assignments, reviewing for tests, researching a topic and generally receiving more attention from the directors of Homework Club. Student conduct is expected to be respectful and quiet with the same types of rules and procedures as the regular school day. Please note that parents are to be prompt in picking up students after homework club at 4:15pm. After a five minute grace period, students will be escorted to Extended Day.
There is not a fee or charge to attend Homework Club. Educational research strongly indicates that students who attend to academic study for a longer period of time each day learn more information in core subjects and earn better grades in school.
6. Adventure is calling all first grade boys. The St. Ambrose Cub Scout Pack is now recruiting new Tiger Cub Scouts for the 2018-19 school year. The first meeting will be Monday, September 10, at 6:30 p.m. in the St. Ambrose Social Hall. Pack meetings usually occur the second Monday of each month and a separate Den meeting will also be held once a month. For more information, contact Jon Belgique, Cubmaster, at email@example.com or 801-998-8068. (Text ok)
7. Please contact Mrs. Hunt, Principal if you are available to work Monday–Thursday from 11:40 to 12:45, and Friday, 11:00 to 12:00 noon, in the lunch room/gym to help set up lunch and check-off names as student walk through the hot lunch line. This job will begin on September 4. firstname.lastname@example.org 801-486-6933
8. GRANDPARENTS, PARENTS, FRIENDS OF COSGRIFF AND ALL INTERESTED ST. AMBROSE PARISHIONERS: You are welcome to a second “Tech Savvy Training” on Wednesday, September 19, beginning at 9:00 a.m. in the school library and computer lab. Bring your cell phone, lap top, ipad, chrome book, and a friend. This educational and fun class sponsored by the “Gold Club” will allow you to ask questions, learn new programs and become more efficient with the use of your tech devices. The instructors are our very own tech savvy “patient” parents. Enjoy coffee, a sweet roll, technology training and a laugh, during this first “Gold Club” activity of the year. (Instructors for “Tech Savvy Training” are needed—please contact Mrs. Hunt, email@example.com if you are available to teach on September 19, from 9:00 to about 10:30 a.m.
9. Thank you to all parents who have served recess duty so far this year. The students are very active, getting familiar with the new equipment and comfortable with the field and play area. All students would benefit from being watched closely. If possible, please come on time 12:00 noon and refrain from using your cell phone while on recess duty, as all eyes should be on the students. Thank you.
10. The J.E. Cosgriff “Bad in Plaid” Golf Tournament is Sunday, September 9. Please support this fabulous fund raiser by donating gifts for the raffle or assisting in underwriting the event. Contact Robb Farr, Chair with question and suggestions. Robbfarr22@comcast.net,801-898
Mrs. Hunt, Principal
August 20, 2018
1. Thank you for your attendance at “Back to School” night. The faculty and staff were excited to meet with you and share pertinent information about the 2018-19 school year.
2. All Murray School District lunch orders and payments are due by Friday, August 24. Order forms are at www.cosgriff.org or in front of the school office. Please place completed forms with payment in the mail box in front of the office. Murray school lunch will begin on September 4.
We are in need of a patient adult to sit in the lunch room and check off names of students as they come through the line for hot lunch. This person would work Monday thru Friday. 11:45 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. Monday thru Thursday and 11:00 a.m. to 12:00 noonon Friday. The list of students would be prepared for you by Deborah Holly. If you are interested in all or a few consistent days per week, please notify Mrs. Hunt right away. This is a salaried position. firstname.lastname@example.org 801-486-6933
3. Tuesday, August 21, is individual student picture day, FORMAL UNIFORM DRESS is required for all students K-8TH grade. A completed picture form and payment are due on picture day.
4. On Tuesday, August 21, please take time to attend a Mardi Gras committee formation meeting at 8:30 a.m. in the school library across from the gym. This brief meeting is for any and all interested parents. Please support the Mardi Gras, and know that Marnie Andrews, Chair email@example.com would love to hear from you.
5. J.E. Cosgriff students are certainly enjoying the new playground. It has an exciting and energetic feel to it and has something to offer for students of all ages at Cosgriff. A sport court surface will soon be placed on the basketball court, along with lines drawn for four square enthusiasts. The new playground includes special exercise equipment and a walking track for adults/senior members of the parish.
6. Once again, much appreciation goes to the E.L Wiegand Foundation, The ALSAM Foundation, North Star Builders, GSBS Architects, and Fr. Andrzej for allowing some of the funds from the Cosgriff twelve year savings account to be used for the project.
FYI, the new music room construction will begin in the very near future.
7. Volleyball sign-up is underway for boys and girls in fifth thru eighth grade. Go to www.cosgriff.org to sign your child up for this exciting coed sport. The deadline to sign-up is Friday, August 31.
8. As of August 21, Cosgriff has a full faculty and staff, all openings have been filled. We have a few available places for seventh grade students. Contact Maggie Kearns, Admissions Director for more information. firstname.lastname@example.org.
9. All of the planter boxes on the east side of the school have been adopted by grades k-8th. This will be an exciting year for students to learn the art and science of horticulture.
10. The J.E. Cosgriff “Bad in Plaid” Golf Tournament is Sunday, September 9. Go to www.cosgriff.org to register your foursome. Please support this fabulous fund raiser by golfing and/or donating gifts for the raffle. Contact Robb Farr, Chair with question and suggestions. Robbfarr22@comcast.net,801-898
11. On Friday, August 17, All Catholic schools received a special message from Bishop Oscar Solis on the “Call to Forgiveness, Prayer and Healing.” In the statement he asked all parishes and Catholic Schools to have a day of prayer and penance for the sins committed by our priests, bishops and other church leaders. The Cosgriff students will attend Mass at 8:30 that day and all parents are invited and encouraged to attend this Mass. In addition, Catholics are asked to pray during the day for these special intentions.
Mrs. Hunt, Principal
August 13, 2018
Welcome to the 2018-19 school year. The faculty, staff and administration were very excited to meet and greet your children today. The students came to school full of energy with smiles on their faces and ready to begin a new school year.
Change of location: “BACK TO SCHOOL NIGHT” will begin in the school gym for parents of toddler-5th grade on Wednesday, August 15, starting at 7:00 p.m. and parents of 6,7,8th grade students on Thursday, August 16, starting at 7:00 p.m.
On this first day of the 2018-19 school year, students were excited to meet the teacher and visit with their classmates. They were also overjoyed with the new playground area. It is a tremendous improvement which will hopefully increase student safety, physical fitness and fun. The outdoor classroom and garden boxes on the east side of the school will provide hands-on activities for students as they learn the science of horticulture and physically plant and care for an outdoor garden. It will also be a nice change-of-pace classroom for other subjects during the school day. The Peace Garden, just south of the outdoor classroom is just that! It is a beautiful setting to spend a peaceful moment for relaxation, reflection and prayer.
Much appreciation to the E.L.Wiegand Foundation, the ALSAM Foundation, other private donors, the entire North Star Builders team, Lucky Dog Recreation, and GSBS Architectural d
The construction of the music room located on the south east side of the rectory will be under way in the very near future. North Star Builders will construct this much needed music space for the school and parish. The generous donations from Maureen McCarthey and Terry Stephens have made this much needed space possible.
Please note the following announcements for the week of August 13-17:
1. Just a reminder: the Murray School District Hot Lunch Program will begin on Tuesday, September 4. Menu choices and payment forms will be placed on the Cosgriff web page and by the office in the near future.
2. Student in grades K-eighth grade are required to wear the school uniform. Uniform shorts may be worn the first and last quarter of the school year.
3. Kindergarten will attend school each day this week from 8:15 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. This will allow time for individual student assessments in the afternoon.
4. Wednesday, August 15, is the Feast of the Assumption of the Blessed Mother. All students, in kindergarten thru eighth grade will attend a special Mass at 9:00 a.m. Students are expected to wear FORMAL DRESS for the day. Please refer to the Student Handbook, policy 3400. This will serve as our Mass for the week. Students may wear casual or regular uniform dress on Friday, August 17.
5. A note from Robb Farr, Golf Tournament Chair.
The Bad in Plaid Golf Tournament is around the corner and we are still looking for tournament sponsors and volunteers to support our first Fundraiser of the school year. The format will be a Four Person Scramble on Sunday September 9th at Bonneville Golf Course.
Build your foursome now. Cost will be $125 per golfer and hole sponsorships start at $200.
The tournament sold out last year and sponsorships are starting to roll in, so please secure your spot ASAP.
The webpage is live on Cosgriff.org.
Please contact Robb Farr with questions at email@example.com or 801-201-5704.
Thanks to all who have contributed in past years, whether with time or money. We couldn’t make this such a fun event without such a great Cosgriff Community!
6. Individual picture day is Tuesday, August 21. All students, kindergarten through eighth grade are to wear FORMAL dress for pictures. Picture purchase packets will be sent home today or tomorrow. Please make sure they are filled out with payment by picture day.
Mrs. Hunt, Principal
August 9, 2018
A few reminders:
1. Tomorrow, August 10, is “Meet the Teacher” day from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m.
2. The playground is close to completion. Please note that all children and adults are to stay off of the playground tomorrow. Also, watch out for large trucks and other vehicles in the parking lot.
3. If you have changed your telephone number or address this past summer, please email the updated information to Maggie Kearns, Admissions Director. firstname.lastname@example.org
Mrs. Hunt, Principal
August 1, 2018
Please read the following announcements and reminders regarding the 2018-19 school year.
1. The eighth grade class is in need of one room parent. If you are interested, please call or email Mrs. Hunt right away. email@example.com, 801-486-6933.
2. New Faculty/Staff Additions for the 2018-19 School Year
**. Ms. Jessica Jamison has joined the faculty to teach Computer Technology and to serve as our Technology Specialist.
** Mrs. Logan Dunn will teach first grade
** Ms. Samantha Partyka will serve as the third grade assistant and work with Mrs. Drees.
** Mr. Jordan McCormack will teach pre-k thru third grade Spanish.
** Ms. Clair Cook will assist Mrs. Randi Green in the toddler program.
**Mrs. Michelle Roboch Trapp will return to Cosgriff this year and teach seventh grade language arts.
All families are invited to attend “Meet the Teacher” on Friday. August 10, from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m.
3. The HSA Cosgriff family picnic scheduled for Friday, August 10, has been cancelled. Watch for an HSA activity in the near future.
4. The Murray District hot lunch program will begin Tuesday, September 4. Please watch for a menu and order form at www.cosgriff.org or in front of the school office.
5. Girls and boys may wear a green or white collared polo shirt on casual uniform dress days. The light blue button down shirt is the only shirt option for older students on formal dress days.
6 Deborah Holly, our faithful Murray lunch program coordinator had to step down from her position for the upcoming school year. If you are interested in working Monday thru Thursday from 11:00 to 1:00 p.m. and Friday from 11:00 to 12:15 p.m. please call or email Mrs. Hunt right away. This job requires coordination with Murray District and consistency in a work schedule. firstname.lastname@example.org 801-486-6933.
7. A complete Cosgriff calendar can be found at www.cosgriff.org. Please refer to it for important upcoming dates, such as:
The first day of school, August 13, Back to School Night, August 15 & 16, Feast of the Assumption, all school Mass, August 15, 9:00 a.m.
The clean and slightly used uniforms will be outside by the gym door from 8:00 to 2:00 p.m. for the rest of this week.—yours for the taking!
Mrs. Hunt, Principal
July 16, 2018
Just a few reminders for the upcoming week.
1. All clean and slightly used uniforms will be placed outside by the gym doors each day this week and the week of July 23-27, from 9:00 to noon. Please come by school and help yourself to uniform parts which will fit our child. –No Charge–yours for the taking.
2. Tuesday, July 17, at 7:00 p.m. all available parents, grandparents who are new to the school or veterans are asked to be present at a short Mardi Gras–“creative idea” meeting in the school library. Marnie Andrews and Erin Freeman have worked so very hard for several years as co-chairs for this important fundraiser. Innovative thoughts, new voices and volunteers are critically needed to increase the net proceeds of the Mardi Gras. If you cannot be present, but have thoughts and ideas to share, please call or email Marnie Andrews right away. 801-750-5976 or email@example.com
3. The annual newsletter should be in your mailbox this coming week. You may also go to www.cosgriff.org to read all about our fabulous 2017-18 school year.
Thank you very much,
Mrs. Hunt, Principal
July 5, 2018
Please read the following important information as you continue to enjoy a fun, exciting and safe summer.
The updated school calendar as of July 3, can be downloaded at www.cosgriff.org Check the calendar for upcoming events in August including “Meet the Teacher” August 10, and The First Day of School, August 13.
1. As we move into the 2017-18 school year, it is anticipated that our budget will be very tight and a bit on the red side. Teacher salaries were raised for the 2018-19 school year, to match 80% of public school teachers in the Granite School District This modest salary increase has been a long time coming and is necessary to retain our excellent teaching staff and attract highly qualified teachers to Cosgriff School.
Our primary fund raiser for the year is the Mardi Gras, scheduled for March 2, 2019. We are in need of new ideas, volunteers, creative ways of increasing interest, attendance, obtaining fabulous auction items, and raising more money! New and returning parents are invited to a much needed “Brainstorming” gathering on Tuesday, July 17, at 7:00 pm. The meeting will take place in the school library or possibly in the new peace garden on the east side of the school if available. Enter through doors by the gym.
2. Much appreciation goes to Ashley Gardner and Rebecca Gray for assigning mentors with our new, incoming Cosgriff families. Thank you to the veteran families for accepting this responsibility with kindness and support as you welcome a new family to Cosgriff School.
3. We have a few opening in our Tuesday, Thursday Toddler program and in our Seventh Grade. Please share this information with friends and others in the community who may be interested in learning more about Cosgriff School for their child. Interested parents are welcome to call or email Maggie Kearns, Admissions Director, firstname.lastname@example.org. 801-486-3197 Ext: 424 or Mrs. Hunt, Principal at email@example.com. 801-486-6933. Please encourage prospective parents to go to www.cosgriff.org to learn more about Cosgriff School.
4. Clean and slightly used uniforms will be available to families for the taking from 9:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. on July 9,10,11,12,16,17,18. Racks will be outside by the gym door. It would be very helpful if a few parents had time to sort the uniforms, hang them up and box-up those that we cannot use. Please call Mrs. Hunt if you are available anytime to help with this volunteer work. firstname.lastname@example.org 801-486-6933.
5. Several grades are still in need of a Room Parent to volunteer for the 2018-19 school year. New parents to the school are welcome to serve as a Room Parent. Two Room Parents serve in all grades except toddler, where one parent is sufficient. One Room Parent will be asked to serve as the lead Room Parent and communicate directly and regularly with the homeroom teacher. Room Parent jobs are secure for parents who requested the position in Spring. A list will be sent out in the near future and homeroom teachers will contact you as well.
Please contact Mrs. Hunt right away if you are interested in one of the following Room Parent positions that have not been filled. email@example.com 801-486-6933
Feel free to call with “job description” questions, before signing up as a room parent.
Toddler (Mrs. Green) –Tuesday, Thursday; one parent needed
Pre-School (Mrs. Camp-Swaner) one parent needed
Pre-School (Mrs. Lee); two parents needed
Pre-Kindergarten (Mrs. Camp-Swaner); one parent needed
Pre-Kindergarten (Mrs. Lee); one parent needed
Kindergarten (Mrs. Jenkins); one parent needed
First Grade (Mrs. Logan); one parent needed
First Grade (Mrs. Commagere); one parent needed
Second Grade (Mr. Weyher); two parents needed
Second Grade (Ms. Sebahar); two parents needed
Third Grade (Mrs. Drees); two parents needed
Fourth Grade (Ms. Gale); two parents needed
Fifth Grade (Ms. Curry); two parents needed
Sixth Grade (Mrs. Newman); one parent needed.
Seventh Grade (Mr. Larson); two parents needed.
Eighth Grade (Ms. Gerhig); two parents needed.
6. To access a student’s school supply lists, go to www.cosgriff.org
7. North Star Builders is working fast and furiously to complete our new, safe playground, classroom garden and music room before the first day of school. Much appreciation goes to Phil Winston, Greg Ross and their entire construction team. Also, thank you to Phil Winston, GSBS Architects, the E.L Wiegand Foundation and the ALSAM Foundation for their generous donations to the playground and classroom garden project.
Mrs. Hunt, Principal