J.E. Cosgriff Memorial Catholic School was founded in 1957 thanks to a benevolent gift from the Cosgriff-Sturdevant families in memory of James E. Cosgriff. J.E. Cosgriff was well known for his enthusiastic support of Catholic education in Utah.
Thanks to the support of our parent and parish communities
The first school session began with kindergarten through sixth grade under the direction of the Daughters of Charity. The Daughters of Charity continued to serve the school until 1992, with Sr. Loyola Louapre as the last religious principal. Since then, Cosgriff has been operated entirely by lay principals and faculty, under the administration of diocesan priests.
Since 1957 Cosgriff has expanded to include Toddler through 8th grade. In 1995 Cosgriff added the Extended Day Program to help support working parents.
In 2001, under the direction of Msgr. Hedderman and Principal, Judith Puhr, an addition was built to house the Art, Computer, Science, Music and Spanish programs. The addition was named the McCarthey Center, in honor of the McCarthey family, whose generous donation made the center possible.
The McCarthey Center was dedicated on May 12, 2002. It was named after the late Thomas Kearns and Jane Finn-McCarthey because of their generous donation toward the building. They were longtime members of St. Ambrose Parish.
what continues our growth
Our mission and beliefs
The mission of J.E. Cosgriff Memorial Catholic School is to guide our students to become respectful, responsible, and productive citizens through quality academic instruction that is grounded in Catholic teachings and tradition.
- We are a Catholic community of teachers, administrators, parishioners, parents and students who share the responsibility for advancing the school’s mission.
- Each student is a valued “Child of God” with unique physical, social, emotional, intellectual and spiritual needs.
- All students can learn.
- A variety of instructional practices and assessments are necessary to support the learning styles of every student.
- A safe and well maintained environment promotes student learning.
- Students learn best when actively engaged in the learning process.
- The commitment to continuous improvement is imperative to assist students in becoming self-confident and self-directed lifelong learners.
- We must prepare our students to be caring individuals through Christian community service.
- We need to provide opportunities to learn and practice core Catholic values through social and life skills.
The desired results for student learning at J.E. Cosgriff Memorial Catholic School are:
- Demonstrates knowledge of beliefs and traditions of the Catholic Church through Reverence.
- Actively participates in the Catholic faith community by showing Respect.
- Proclaims the gospel of Jesus Christ in their daily lives by practicing Responsibility.
- Students communicate with clarity, purpose and understanding of audience.
- Students integrate the use of a variety of communication forms and use a wide variety of communication skills.
- Students recognize and evaluate various forms of communication (reading, writing, and oral language)
Complex Thinking & Reasoning Skills
- Students gather, classify, organize and use information effectively to gain new knowledge.
- Students support inferences & justify conclusions.
- Students utilize, evaluate and refine the use of multiple strategies to solve a variety of types of problems.
- Students generate new and creative ideas in a variety of contexts.
Life Long Learners
- Students make a commitment to creating quality work and striving for excellence.
- Students use a variety of learning strategies, personal skills, and time management skills to enhance learning.
- Students reflect on and evaluate their learning for the purpose of improvement.
Donations and Giving
Help show your support
Donations are always accepted through Greater Giving. You can effortlessly earn money for J.E. Cosgriff through the AmazonSmile and Amazon Associates program, by shopping at Fresh Market or Dan’s and using your PLUS card, General Mills box tops, or directly through our donations link.