August 22, 2016
Thank you for such a great turn-out at “Back to School Night.” It was such a positive way for our entire school community to begin the school year. The administration, faculty and staff were so impressed by your enthusiasm and positive attitude.
Please read the following important announcements:
- Computer technology begins this week. All students, kindergarten through eighth grade must turn in the required Acceptable Use Policy with parent and student signature to begin class.
- Tuesday, August 23, is student individual picture day. All students are required to have pictures taken in FORMAL DRESS this school year.
- Wednesday, August 24, at 7:00pm in the school library is the “New Parent/Mentor Meeting”. All new parents please attend this meeting to learn more about Cosgriff School and to become better acquainted with other new and veteran parents.
- The administration, faculty and staff will take CPR and First Aid training on Friday, August 26, immediately after school.
- Homework Club begins on Tuesday, September 6. It will be offered for students in fourth through eighth grade on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday each week. Two classroom teachers will host Homework Club in order to instruct and answer questions as needed. Mrs. Millard will conduct her study period for students taking Latin on Wednesday each week, as part of Homework Club.
- Sign-up right away to play in the “Bad in Plaid” Golf Tournament. It takes place on Sunday, September 11, 2016 at Bonneville Golf Course, 9:00 am tee off. Underwriting support, raffle prizes and golfers are still needed for this great community building/fundraising event. Sign up at cosgriff.org For underwriting and donation of prizes, call or email Robb Farr, email@example.com , 801-201-5704.
- The “Instrument Fair” is scheduled for Wednesday, August 31, at 7:00pm in the school gym. This is an opportunity for students in fourth through eighth grade to learn more about different musical instruments, then choose one they want to play in the school band/orchestra, during the 2016-17 school year. The school band/orchestra begins on September 6.
- Hot lunch began on the first day of school. A special request from the administration is for parents to watch your child’s lunch account closely and add money as needed during the school year.
- The administration is looking for two support staff–a lunch room and recess helper four days per week. Mon-Thurs. from 11:45 to 12:40 in the lunch room or 11:55 to 12:50pm on the playground. If you know of someone who would like a small part time job, please ask this person to contact Mrs. Hunt, Principal right away firstname.lastname@example.org 801-486-6933.
- Bulldog Boogie, September 9, 2016 “A Bieber Boogie” Girls and Boys, ages 5 and up are invited to participate in the Bulldog Boogie—a halftime dance on the Judge Football Field. Practice clinics will be held on September 6,7,8, from 5:00 to 6:30pm on the Judge football field. $30.00 registration fee includes a tee shirt, training and performance. Registration deadline is September 2. Registration forms are available in our school office or online at http://www.judgememorial.com/apps/news/article/597404
- New and updated information should be submitted to the school office right away. Invitations for the grandparent brunch will be sent out very soon.
- Students have the choice of wearing white, navy blue or black socks to school each day. Please make sure your child complies with the uniform policy.
Mrs. Hunt, Principal
August 15, 2016
Please read the following important information and reminders regarding the first week of school;
- First, welcome back to another exciting year at J.E.Cosgriff Memorial Catholic School. The entire faculty and staff are excited and ready to provide a meaningful and challenging year of instruction for all of our students.
- The Granite School District hot lunch program began today. If this is the first year your child will be taking hot lunch, please follow the following directions on Pay Pams paypams.com if you need further assistance, please refer to PayPAMS.com and click “HELP” to navigate further assistance.
- Kindergarten students will be dismissed at 12:15 all week, to provide time for teachers to conduct an individual assessment of each student. Kindergarten students will eat lunch before dismissal.
- All parents, please attend “Back to School” night this week on the appropriate day.
***Wednesday, August 17, 7:00pm, parents of toddler – fifth grade. (meet in the church
***Thursday, August 18, 7:00pm, parents of 6th,7th and 8th grade students. (meet in the
Church social center)
Teachers of toddler –fifth grade will host two 25 min. sessions to accommodate parents with
more than one child attending Cosgriff.
All parents of toddlers—please meet in the school library after dismissal from the social center.
- The first all-school Mass will take place Friday, August 19, at 8:30am. Parents are always invited to Mass with the students. With the exception of Holy Days, weekly school Mass will be celebrated on Friday at 8:30am.
- Students are expected to wear formal dress to all weekly Masses. Please check the parent handbook for proper formal dress attire. (cosgriff.org)
- There is a need for one individual to help monitor (keep safe) students at daily lunch recess along with Mrs. Hunt, Principal and two volunteer room parents. This is a paid position, Monday through Thursday–approximately 4 hours per week. 11:55 to 12:55pm. Please call or email Mrs. Hunt, if you are interested in this job. email@example.com 801-486-6933.
- Please contact Mrs. Hunt, Principal if you are interested or know someone interested in working in the lunch room with Mr.D four days per week,11:45 to 1:00pm. This job includes wiping off tables, sweeping, dismissing students, along with some student management, as needed.
- Individual picture day is Tuesday, August 23. As mentioned in a previous letter, all students are to wear formal uniform dress for this picture.
- The sixth annual “Bad in Plaid” golf tournament is Sunday, September 11, at Bonneville Golf Course. Please sign your four-some up right away at cosgirff.org
- Robb Farr and the golf committee still need a few hole sponsors and some great raffle prizes. Chris Hemmersmeier with Jerry Seiner Chevrolet will donate a fabulous car, again this year, for the lucky golfer who gets a hole in one. Please help any way possible with prizes and golfing for the Cosgriff cause! This should be a sell-out event and it is a perfect way to spend a Sunday. Robbfarr22@comcast.net 801-201-5704.
- All new parents to Cosgriff School and Mentor parents, please plan on an information meeting/social on Wednesday, August 24, at 7:00pm in the school library. This will be a great opportunity to have many questions answered and have the opportunity to become better acquainted with other new and veteran parents.
- The Christian virtue which teachers will model, teach, and discuss in August and September and is RESPECT. Respect is an attitude of valuing and caring about yourself and others with dignity. When we are respectful, we treat others how we would like to be treated.
- Teachers in every grade will start the year teaching, and practicing several classroom procedures. These procedures will in time become daily routines and help student move smoothly and confidently throughout the day. These procedures go along with important social skills which teachers will require of students starting on the first day of school. For example: listening, following directions the first time, raising a hand before speaking, pushing in a chair when standing, picking up all paper off of the floor, sharpening a pencil etc.. Ask your child to name a few important classroom procedures this evening. All teachers toddler-eighth grade intend to practice procedures until they become an everyday routine.
Mrs. Hunt, Principal