May 26, 2015
Please read the following notes for the last week of the 2014-15 school year:
Tomorrow, May 27 is the last formal dress day of the 2014-15 school year. The kindergarten-seventh grade honors assembly is at 10:30am in the church. Dismissal is at 12:15pm.
Summer Camp begins Monday, June 1, at 9:00am. Registration is still open for one, two, three or four weeks of the summer camp program for pre-school thru eighth grade. Extended day is available each day after summer school until 4:00pm. Download a registration form at cosgriff.org or stop by the office to register your child.
1) The eighth grade graduation took place on May 22nd. Congratulations to all graduates, best of luck and may God bless each one of these outstanding young men and women. The J.E.Cosgriff faculty and staff are very proud of these students and know they will excel with their future dreams and goals.
2) EDP will be open until 5:00pm on Wednesday, May 27, 2015, the last day of the school year.
3) The titles of books and follow-up assignments for students entering 6th,7th, and 8th grade in August 2015 are now on the school website at: http://cosgriff.org/students/reading-lists/ Students who choose to attend some or all of summer school may participate in a literature group with other students on their grade level. Students will read the assigned books, participate in discussions and complete the written assignment.
The literature group for students heading to 6th grade is at 9:00am, 7th and 8th grade groups will possibly be held at 10:00am with different instructors.
4) All used school supplies such as pencils, crayons, notebooks, colored paper, pens, and other unused supplies are needed for The Hartland Youth Center which supports many low income families in SLC. Please encourage your child to drop these items in a box which has been place in each classroom. Alyssa Bardugon and Taylor Liddle are leading this Girl Scout service project.
5) Room parents for the 2015-16 school year are needed for all grades– toddler through eighth grade. Please email Mrs. Hunt, Principal, ASAP if you would like to volunteer your time and much needed energy next year. (firstname.lastname@example.org) Please call if you have questions about time commitment and/or responsibilities of a room parent. 801-486-6933
6) Mrs. Lori Fox, M.S CCC-SLP, Speech-Language Pathologist is available for speech instruction during the summer camp days and other times during the summer. Call Mrs. Fox at 801-558-9120.or email her at email@example.com.
7) Summer will be filled to the brim with so many fun family activities, sports camps, vacations and play dates. Please do NOT take a vacation from reading to your child and asking your child to read to you. Good readers love to read and invest time almost every day reading to learn and for enjoyment. Continuous reading turns an average reader into an avid, high level reader. When you read more advanced nonfiction books to your child, you strengthen his/her background knowledge, which is excellent preparation for upcoming curriculum in science, social studies and language arts. You are welcome to check out books from the reading room on your child’s independent level. Those will be books which can be read alone or out loud to an interested listener. You may also check out, books on a more advanced level which you will read to your child.
Please continue to quiz those younger children on math facts–addition, subtraction and multiplication several times per week to jump start the next school year. When school begins again on August 17, teachers expect to review basic mathematical operations with addition, subtraction, decimals, fractions, equations, division etc… It is very difficult to move forward with the current required standards if students have forgotten the basic math facts.
Thank you for your support with the on-going and never ending education of your child!!
8) Please be sure to check the Cosgriff email and Facebook throughout the summer for important messages regarding the next school year. The first important date to remember is “Meet the Teacher” on August 14, 2015 from 3:30 to 4:30pm in the homeroom classroom.
9) Parents of pre-school, pre-kindergarten, kindergarten, first and second grade students expect a letter by the end of June telling you the name of your child’s teacher for the 2015-16 school year.
Betsy Hunt, Principal
Archive Letters 2014-2015: